Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Trip to Atlanta

Last Wednesday Mom, Alyssa Kate, Caroline and I embarked on an adventure to Atlanta, GA. I was headed to the Society of Pediatric Nurses annual conference to present a poster about a research project I did last year. Mom's best friend lives north of Atlanta so we decided to make a girls trip and spend time with her too. We planned quite well for provisions with lots of snacks, DVDs and toys. Google maps said the trip would take 8.5 hours, very optimistic. We left Wednesday morning with two kids in their pajamas at 4:45 am. We didn't stop the first time until after we made it through Memphis. After breakfast we continued with full tummies and a long way to go. We made it to Atlanta at about 3;45 pm. While it did take us 11 hours it was a great trip. The girls were in great moods and spent most of their time watching Diego and Dora. I don't know how we ever traveled before without a DVD player! That night we went to a fantastic mexican restaurant Mama Nimfa's, the best fajitas I have ever had! After dinner we took the girls swimming in the hotel indoor pool. It was so much fun! Thursday I put up my poster and attended some session and visited a few vendors, then went to IKEA..I was on cloud nine :). Friday after my second presentation we took the girls to the Georgia Aquarium. It was amazing! I think mom and I had as much fun as the girls. Caroline spent the whole time shaking and squealing. She tried to grab the fish when they swam by and got frustrated when she couldn't get them :) After the Aquarium went across the street to Centennial Park and played on some playgrounds and around the Olympic fountain. Saturday we went to visit mom's friend Eve and shopped at the Mall of Georgia. That is one thing I miss about living north of Atlanta, all the great shopping!. We left Sunday around 5:20 am (Little Rock time) and while there was a little more whining that day it took us only 10.5 hours to get home and the girls did great. We were all exhausted but happy to be home. Wes greeted us in the driveway waving a Razorback flag and blowing a noise maker...I think he missed his girls :)

Caroline sleeping like an angel


Alyssa Kate snoozing


The world's largest McDonald's playground in Birmingham, AL (that's Alyssa Kate in front of the red square)

Caroline was very excited to be out of the car in the hotel!
Alyssa Kate was excited too jumping on the bed!

Loving fajitas with Mimi


Caroline doing her "cute baby" pose


My poster


Swimming with the girls


Mimi and Caroline watching the beautiful whale


Walking through the cool tunnel of fish and sharks


Caroline trying to "grab" the shark swimming by


Both girls talking to the fish


Alyssa Kate with "Milky the fish" and Caroline with her "Mimi whale" from the aquarium

Playing at Centennial Park


Alyssa Kate with her "Auntie" Eve

Caroline playing with her "Jam Man"

1 comment:

The Cornelisons said...

What a fun trip you took without me! I'm glad you guys made it back ok, we missed you. I love that Caroline was trying to grab the fish as they swam by.

background